Tuesday, January 26, 2010

True Story Tuesday


Another True Story Tuesday...about my Colin Boy!
Back in November we noticed that Colin would 'zone' out as we called it; he would be in the middle of doing something and as quick as a wink, he would stop and stare as if in a trance and the only thing that brought him back was us calling his name or touching his shoulder. We weren't too worried about it at first, but then it started happening more often and instead of just being still during his 'zoning' out, he would walk away. There was one time when he actually started walking towards the street...scary right?

So I talked to his teacher, who I love by the way, and she said she would be on the look out for his 'zoning out'. She would report back to me at the end of the day as too how many she noticed through out the school day. It started as just a few, but grew in numbers and severity; she too noticed that he would stop mid-sentence and then stand and walk towards the door.

So we took him to his pediatrician, who took blood, which all testing for whatever they were testing for came back normal, and referred us to a neurologist at Children's Phoenix Hospital.

I was very fortunate to get him in the day after calling to set up the appointment. We both took last Thursday off of school and headed to CPH.

He was a little nervous and excited...for me....just nervous.

While in the waiting room, I had to fill out a 5 page questionnaire regarding my pregnancy, his birth, his life and all of our family medical history.

When the dr came in...he was so nice! I will call him Dr. B...he sat and talked with me regarding all of the answers I had given...very thorough...made me feel very good...

...and then he talked with Colin and did his exam on him....having him take off his socks & shoes and walking up and down the hallway all sorts of different ways...with his eyes open & closed.
He then brought him back into the room and did a bunch of reflex tests on him.
Dr. B was so friendly and down to earth, talking in terms that both Colin & I understood.

So after all of that, it was back to me and asking me what I thought was wrong with him...I said I didn't know and that is what brought us here.

He won't know anything for sure until an EEG is done, but his best professional guess is that Colin has...

...Childhood Absence Epilepsy...

...meaning that when he has a seizure in his brain, a non-convulsive kind, he goes 'absent' or 'zones' out. The treatment is medication and he should live a very normal, healthy life.

I will keep you updated on the results of his EEG...but until then thanks for listening...

Got a True Story to share...you can go visit Rachel & link up there!

18 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow, never would have guessed it was that. Praying that they figure it out soon and get him the meds he needs.

Anonymous said...

Hey cuz, same thing Brooke has, but good news is that Brooke should grow out of it. Hopefully Colin will to! Trish

Robyn said...

Wow! That is interesting! Is this something he will grow out of? Keeping him in my prayers.

Val said...

I will be praying. One of Chris' baseball players just got diagnosed with Epilepsy - he is on medication and seems to be doing great. I know anything like this is so scary - probably more for the parents than the kid going through it.

Carin said...

My husband has epilepsy, he takes his meds every day and he says he feels better than he ever did, even as a child. Thinking of you all and glad you were aware of what was going on and that you have such a great dr. True, some kids do grow out of it too!

Bridget said...

I starting thinking along those lines right after you started mentioning his symtoms...but I have a husband with a seizure disorder and have had to learn lots about them. Thankfully, there are plenty of medicines and help out there, and Colin will do great!

Darcie said...

Dear me! You are so welcome for us listening. I would want someone to listen to me too at a time like this. I have never heard of something like this, but just for you sharing your story it will make others aware that something like this exist. Thankfully he is still smiling through it all...good to see.

Carrie said...

That's really interesting! And that's great that you and his teacher were so in-tune to it! Sounds like something that will have a good end result , though :) A little scary since he plays football...take care and will be thinking of him and upcoming tests!

Leiah said...

I knew exactly what you were going to say as I was reading this. My niece, who is now 19, was diagnosed with this exact thing. The good part is that she no longer has to take meds of any sort and has no signs of it anymore or residual effects from it. When it would happen to her and she would "come back", she would say "Sorry - I went on a little dream."

sara said...

a good friend of mine's daughter had this as a child. And it started exactly like your son's. she is grown now, in college, and doing great! I don't even think she has to take meds any more.

Foursons said...

Oh gosh, that is scary. I hope they figure out what is wrong quickly and you can take measures to fix it.

He & Me + 3 said...

YOu know I will be praying for my godson. Hugs!

Rachel said...

Oh Stacey! That must have been nerve wracking waiting for an answer! Praying for Colin and for complete healing and for God to give you wisdom in each decision you encounter.

More Than Words said...

Wow! I never heard of that! I'm sure you feel so much better taking him to the pediatrician, Stacy. Praise God that he didn't get hurt in football.

Yes..keep us posted!

Bits-n-Pieces said...

scary indeed!! as soon as you said "zoning out", I thought it might be epilepsy of some sort. Glad you got it diagnosed so soon and can get treatment!!

Kat said...

It is so hard for us to watch our children face challenges... yet it has often been the very thing that has brought me closest to the Lord. praying for your peace of mind.

Kat

Stephanie said...

Goodness! I'm so sorry that is going on but relieved to hear that he is going to be okay! Praying for you and him!

Mocha Momma said...

Yes, he will live a long and successful life. My nephew had these as a baby & I believe he still does.

My friend's daughter started having them in college and she is a teacher now.

Hopefully you have more answers now. I'll read on.
Have a great weekend,
Nannette